Is your child entering a Georgia Child Care center, Head Start program, pre-K class or school for the first time? If so, the DeKalb County Board of Health offers your family convenient, affordable back-to-school immunizations and vision, hearing and dental screenings. The Board of Health also issues certified birth certificates for children born in Georgia and provides sports physicals.
Board of Health Center hours are Monday through Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m. On Saturday, July 30, immunizations and vision and hearing screenings will be offered at all four centers, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Extended hours are available 8:15 a.m. to 7 p.m. at all centers on Tuesday, Aug. 2; Wednesday, Aug. 3; Thursday, Aug. 4; Monday, Aug. 8; Tuesday, Aug. 9; and Wednesday, Aug 10. No appointment is necessary and services are available on a first come, first served basis.
Extended hours for dental screenings are from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Central DeKalb Health Center on Aug. 2, 3, 4, 8, 9 and 10. Extended hours at the East DeKalb Health Center on
Aug. 2, 4 and 9; at the North DeKalb Health Center on Aug, 2, 3, 8, 9 and 10; and at the South DeKalb Health Center on Aug. 3 and 10. Georgia law requires that children enrolling in Child Care, Head Start, pre-K public or private school must have proof of up-to-date immunizations on Georgia Form 3231. To enter public school, they must also have a completed Georgia Form 3300 as proof of vision, hearing, and dental screenings. Children transferring between Georgia counties or from out-of-state must also show proof of immunizations and screenings on these forms.
- Bring each child and his or her immunization record.
- Bring each child’s insurance card. The Board of Health accepts Medicaid, PeachCare for Kids, State Health Benefits Plan (Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Georgia), Aetna and some other insurance plans;
- Be prepared to pay by cash or debit/credit card or with a check from a Georgia bank. The Board of Health is happy to provide immunization certificates for students entering Georgia colleges and universities. Please be aware that the Georgia Board of Regents develops vaccination criteria for state colleges and universities; private colleges and universities institute theirs. Please verify your institution’s requirements. Back-to-school services are available at the following locations:
- Central DeKalb (T. O. Vinson) Health Center, 440 Winn Way, Decatur, 404-294-3762.
- East DeKalb Health Center, 2277 S. Stone Mountain-Lithonia Road, Lithonia, 770-484-2600.
- North DeKalb Health Center, 3807 Clairmont Road, Chamblee, 770-454-1144.
- South DeKalb (Clifton Springs) Health Center, 3110 Clifton Springs Road, Decatur, 404-244-2200.
In Georgia, a certified birth certificate is required for school registration. Birth certificates for Georgia-born children are available from the Board of Health’s Office of Vital Records, Richardson Health Center, 445 Winn Way, Decatur, Ga. 30030. Vital Records will offer evening hours on Wednesday, Aug. 3; Thursday, Aug. 4; Tuesday, Aug. 9 and Wednesday, Aug. 10 and be open from 8:15 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. The hours on Tuesday, Aug. 2 and Monday, Aug. 8 will be from 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Vital Records’ regular hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. A Georgia driver’s license or state identification card is required. Only a legal parent, grandparent or guardian can obtain a birth certificate for a child under 18 years old. Payment of $25 can be made in cash or by debit/credit card. Checks are not accepted. For information, call (404) 294-3857.
Physicals for sports teams are available at all Board of Health centers. For more information on back-to-school services, birth certificates and sports physicals, visit www.dekalbhealth.net or call 404-294-3700.